Monday, October 19, 2009

post-bac critique thoughts

rhythm. time. sense of movement. pattern.
the rhythm of an experience. how to communicate stability and movement (bound and flowing).

oriented//disoriented.

how do I ride the line of abstraction and representation? how do I ride the line of literal and metaphorical? how do I ride the line of illustrating and initiating ideas?

direct//removed or vicarious experiences. issues of translation. issues of boundaries.

when people can't understand the relationships between the subjects of a work, it becomes about the act and process of translation (my abstract paintings from the spring). I don't think this is about me processing things, though that's a totally valid thing. I do want to communicate something. (is it about artistic practice and thought, or is it actually about the subjects and their relationships?). though now that I write that, it is also about my processing. it isn't only about the woods and it isn't only about my thoughts, what I've read, the sounds that come back to me over and over. it's about both together. the process of experience and the environment. because they are dependent on eachother. they need eachother in order to exist at all. (and I'm back to phenomonology or buddhism or whatever you want to call it. I'm back to togetherness.)

acquisition (to take on, appropriate). I do this so easily with some things.
abnegative (to choose, to edit out, to manipulate). I have so much trouble with this.
purposive. (to have meaning, purpose. to have something that matters.) I want this but I doubt it.

My work is making meaning for me. my rain project especially. potentially my videos//paintings together. I hope it is making meaning for others. I can guess at how it might do that for you, but I can't really say what that is for you or anyone else. I can't really say what a chicken or a bee feels. I can guess. I can guess by my interactions with them, by my experience of a mutual relationship with them. I can guess a lot, but never really know. I can make an artwork and understand it to a certain degree, but never really know how it is communicating to others. this would be impossible. and terribly boring. terribly bound.

once again comes space. openness. room to move. (within the bounds of our experiences. within the bounds of my experiences.) an implicit body. a me//we.

accessiblility. this all deals with accessibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment