Saturday, September 19, 2009

eva hesse and judy pfaff

(Judy Pfaff, Round Hole Square Peg, 1997)


(Eva Hesse, Ohne Titel, 1966)


(Eva Hesse, Right After, 1969)


(Eva Hesse, No Title, 1970)


After hardly thinking of Eva Hesse or Judy Pfaff for about eight months, their work is once more resonating with me very strongly. (I'm just turning and turning in circles.)

The other night, my iPod changed at random to a clarinet duet I wrote in response to Hesse's
Right After for a Music and Art class a few years ago. Though I listen to the recording fairly often, it struck me that this was a response to Hesse's work, and that I had just written about a gossamer web. I immediately remembered her No Title work that mirrors Right After but looks as though it is decaying, and realized that this is the duality that I want to create within the same work--light against dark, life against decay--and also the sense of relationship and reliance of the part on the whole. Looking up Hesse's work further I re-found her mandala series, which I've thought a lot about, but never really directly wanted to incorporate into my work until a the last couple weeks. Like Hesse, Judy Pfaff's room and print installations also use geometric mandala forms//structures cast against organic forms of plants and landscapes, and evoke both life and decay at once. Both artists are interested in immersing//engulfing the viewer in an experience, and this has been a goal of mine as well. I'm getting so excited because the installation work I'm starting to bring together seems to be a synthesis of all of these interests I've had for so long.

order//chaos
structure//deviation
singularity//multiplicity
universal//specific



No comments:

Post a Comment