Wednesday, September 16, 2009

opposites



I was looking up some artists that people have mentioned to me and was especially struck by Terry Winters' works where he juxtaposes bones with abstract forms. The abstract forms are very basal and remind me of artist-naturalist Ernst Haeckel's work with radiolarians. But if Haeckel's images are a meditation on the spiritual luminescence of tiny creatures from the dark, unknown waters of the sea, then Winters' forms are the opposite. They are more like voids or dark vacuums, far from being luminescent, they speak of death and an absence of light. This is a quality I have been missing in my work, and want to reconnect with. I'm interested in pushing the void and absence up against the life and luminescence, abstraction against representation, past against present and future. It's the pushing together of opposites that is so intriguing, (like Terry Tempest Williams' writing, too).

what happens when we mix abstraction with representation? when poetry and science come together? when the literal is joined with the metaphorical?


more importantly, why is this so satisfying to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment